Week 8

First thought when writing this blog: where did fall come from? It always seems to creep out from somewhere unexpectedly. One day it's 85 degrees and the next it rains a little and suddenly it is 60 or below. Ahh...Indiana weather. I, however, do not mind the swift change. It gives me an excuse to take life slower instead of go, go, go. 

Now, that does not mean it hasn't been go, go, go with ceramics. So far I made 3 full corals: a small, medium, and large. The coral in the picture below is probably as large as the corals will get, but I do plan on making many more. I also made two bottles of sunscreen to go next to the corals. I plan to paint the corals after they're fired. I decided on paint because I can control the color more easily. The reason I want to have complete control over color is so I can make corals that look half dead with washed out colors with white spots and more colorful spots. 

Now I know this could be done with underglazes, but I have noticed the color options in underglazes are becoming limited and most times when fired the glaze comes out splotchy and has noticeable brush work if there are not 50 million layers of underglaze. Splotchy color and brush strokes are two things I do not want to see on my corals. 




Comments