Week 1

Well we're back to week one again. Summer flew by as it always does. These new ceramic projects are definitely keeping me on my toes. I was ready to come back from summer and get into some clay again until realizing the first project isn't even dealing with clay. However, I don't mind it. I will admit that I was set in my ways. I knew what I liked to make in both painting and ceramics and I never thought about other ways to make those things or other types of things to make. However, this first project allowed me to think in different ways and how to limit myself when it comes to tools, supplies, etc. because let's admit it now...we are all living as frivolous Americans.

Limiting my supplies and tools put me back to my childhood days when I was making art and they told me I couldn't use the hot glue gun, utility knife, and didn't have money to go out and buy my own supplies. It is a very interesting concept to work with. My idea for this project involves flowers once again. I am going to make several


roses out of red Coca-Cola cans and place them onto a live rose bush outside my apartment building. I have created roses in different stages of growth so far. I will photograph the bush after I have placed the aluminum flowers on and will bring the photos as well as the flowers themselves in for critique. This juxtaposition of industrial with natural aims to get across the message that we must protect what we have now or it may not be there tomorrow.

Comments