Week 8

Sometimes it's okay not to have sketches. Sometimes ideas don't have to be thought through and can be a discovery process rather than a planned event. That's what happened for me. On Thursday, Felicia and I came in to work outside of class time and I didn't know what designs I would implement on a slab piece I made, but I couldn't stop thinking about flowers once again and things just began to happen for themselves. 

First, I thought that I would just create a bowl covered in flowers, but then I added the longer cylinder so that the flowers could sit easily. From there it needed a base to sit on and then it turned into a miniature forest with the base as a tree covered in vines. I was so glad that this process was just able to happen. I am a very impromptu person no matter which media I am working in. I especially like to sit down one day, think of something to paint or make, make it, and then move on to the next thing within a matter of hours. I enjoy the act of discovering and not necessarily having a thought out plan. 

The sculpture seen below took about four hours. I think there is something so enjoyable about artwork that only takes a short amount of time to make. It allows for a free discovery process that is not bogged down by plans. Coming into class Thursday I scraped the slab clean many times because I didn't know what I wanted to make, but then everything just happened. I always end up coming back to flowers. 


Second one already started


Comments