Week 3

I suppose one could say that the creations coming out of my ceramics work was weird. It was a very weird day for ceramic creations. The 24"x36" relief I created is in the final stages. I am now waiting for the piece to become bone dry so that I can experiment with terrasig. I like the way the relief turned out before cutting it into pieces. I do wonder if cutting it into squares would be better because it would be less distracting. The hardest part about cutting this landscape was the bridge that seemed to be right in the middle of everything so I had to cut a square around it in order for the bridge to stay intact and to keep the piece from becoming too long.

While I waiting for the relief to dry I sculpted with some terra cotta. This is where it gets weird. The first thing that came of my creations was the head of an owl.  This is one of those things you have no idea what you're sculpting until your finished with it. It's a very interesting process really. The owl head reminded Felicia and I of the sketches we used to do in high school. For these sketches we would each pick an animal and sometimes we would tell each other the animal and sometimes we wouldn't. From there we would each draw a body part and see what kind of unusual creation we would come up with. So as you can see below we have what Felicia and I would call a 'Growl' a combination of a gorilla and an owl. I created the head and wings and Felicia created the body and legs.

That is most likely the weirdest part of ceramics today. The rest of the time I spent making little heads that could be animated to the extreme and they really gave me a good laugh. It's always enjoyable when you create something that can elicit an immediate reaction from the viewer. Mine reaction happened to be pure enjoyment because I would look at these heads and think 'What the heck did I just make?' However, these heads were rather interesting and I really admired the animated qualities. This is definitely something I should consider for a future project. Possibly on a larger scale. I would also really like to make more weird animal combos with Felicia again. It's always so funny to see what fails and what comes out as a cute bundle of success like the drawing of mine and Felicia's 'Pail' the combination of pug and snail.
Weird thing #1
Growl
Weird thing #2

Comments