Week 15

It's the final week of ceramics, but with that comes the opportunity to see the mass of flowers hanging in the Space Lab. I was unsure of how the flowers would look when working on them at home, but once they were hanging in the Space Lab the entire experience changed entirely. Suddenly the flowers were just enough to create a nice surrounding atmosphere. The sound of the flowers clinging together is what excites me most about the piece. It's as if you're surrounded by not only flowers but by wind chimes as well. The sound brings my mind to my favorite film in which wind chimes are very prevalent and used in dreamlike states of the main characters life.

This allows me as the artist experiencing my own work to travel to a dreamlike world surrounded by a few of my favorite things. Luckily for Felicia and I the tangles in the flowers were simple to get out. The only thing left to fix is the crookedness. This either happened from the weight distribution or simply because I latched the hook in the wrong spoke section. This project is the most exciting one I have ever done and I am glad that I am bringing the surrounding element into painting because it seems to me that the most successful and most interesting works are ones that envelope and surround the viewer in more than one direction.



Comments