Week 11


Raku glazes are in the process of being made for the upcoming Raku firing. My flowers came out of the soda kiln and based on their metallic look I think I will put some crochet hooks in the soda kiln. The flowers look great as a whole and the colors work well together. I think that if I had made any less than 501 I wouldn't have enough to achieve my dream. When I laid the flowers out on the table I figured out the dome shape and it seemed I would have enough to complete the dome and come down around the viewer like a waterfall because on the table there were only 291 flowers and I still have 210 left to glaze and fire.

The Raku project is going well so far. Some things were put into the bisque firing yesterday and I have about 13 objects made so far. They're all in the drying process now after I carved into them last class. For the carving I am mainly just doing whatever I feel like on that day. There are a lot of different lines and textures. It is more like experimentation than having a running theme throughout the pots.

Also as you can see below I found some flowers just sitting on the glaze shelf yesterday. I have been seeing these flowers for quite a while. It makes me wonder how many they will make and how they got them to be so colorful. Hopefully they don't beat my total or I might have to reach for 1,000. As Lorelai from Gilmore Girls would say, "Oy, with the poodles already." I think I've seen enough flowers for one semester.



Comments