Week 9

Still life project is finally complete, aside from the glazing and bisque firing. I should say the building and sculpting stage is finished. For glazing I will probably use under glaze for the small things like the stitch markers, crochet hooks, and buttons. For the basket I may do some sort of natural colored stain to go along with the look of how the baskets would look in real life.

The next project will be pretty awesome because you can make really anything as long as it fits into a nice size range. I was thinking about just a lot of thrown vessels like flower vases and other things that could be useful objects. However, when I thought back to vessels I kept thinking of face jugs, so I might do something with faces on the vessels or some other sculptural element along with other normal wheel thrown forms.

For the sculptural elements I keep picturing organic shapes and wavy lines and patterns. I may also create most of my designs just by the firing process as well by having exposed clay while other areas are covered by glaze. There are so many different things to try with Raku which makes it so interesting. I was really interested in the horse hair Raku, but I only have one idea of where I can get horse hair.

I'll also be experimenting with more polymer clay on the side, maybe even see what it does in different kilns?? Maybe even try to Raku fire some?




















Comments