Week 6

501 flowers= success. From 301 to 501 over the weekend, I have finally made it. The goal that was never in sight in the beginning and has now been realized. I am thinking that for this field of flowers I will glaze them with white or a clear coat and then put brushes of colors along the edges of the petals. The first set of flowers also made it through their first firing unscathed. Felicia even accidentally dropped one and it didn't hurt it a bit! Pretty tough flowers if I do say so myself.

On another note, the next project has already begun. For this project I will create a still life that is based on crochet. Crochet and I were not friends in the beginning. Learning all of the abbreviations to read a pattern to make something takes a lot of work and a lot of time to get the hang of. Now I can read a pattern with ease and can turn out crochet projects in minutes to a matter of hours depending on the project.

For this still life I will sculpt all of the necessary tools used in crochet. So far I have made two crochet hooks, the ones that happen to be the size I use most often, and scissors. After adding fibers to the clay, the process became so much easier. I would have been pulling my hair out by the end of class today had I not added fibers to make the clay stronger.

Note to self: When making thin sculptures use fibers so you are not bald by the end of the project.



Comments