Week 6

So when I first heard about this next project I wasn't all that excited. I thought all the articles I would find would be political or something to that end and that's simply something I don't really care too much about at least not enough to make art about it. But then I found an article about how sunscreen is killing our coral reefs and an image came into my head: coral slathered up in sunscreen.

Then I thought, how will I let the viewer know it's sunscreen. So then came the idea to put squished out sunscreen bottles next to the coral. And on the coral itself I will also out globs of sunscreen that are smooth and will be glazed white. When I pictured this it honestly made me laugh, but this is a serious issue. Hawaii has even banned sunscreens with ingredients that harm coral which is pretty much all the big name brands such as banana boat.

Even if the viewer does not care about the environment aspect or the meaning behind it, they can at least get a good laugh at coral covered in sunscreen.






Comments